Sunday 26 January 2014

One week down, a lifetime to go...

My first week as a Mum has been and gone. Seriously, where did the time go? It flew  by!
This has been the absolute best week of my life! I feel like I have found what I was always supposed to do, be a mother. My husband and I make an amazing team, if I do say so myself. We both just seem to know what needs to be done to help the other and therefore help our son, J.
So far, breastfeeding is going really well. My nipples are a level of sore I didn’t know existed, but are slowly healing and I have been told they eventually get better. Little man is getting enough milk and drinking himself in to a milk coma every three or so hours. Breastfeeding is not easy, and I know I may experience challenges in the future, but for now we are doing well. I always said I wanted to breastfeed for six months, but I think now I’m doing it, I’d like to aim for twelve. I find it a really magical experience and seeing the look on my son’s face when I feed him makes me so happy.
I actually had a lumpectomy in 2010 in my left breast. My nipple was removed and reattached and it wasn’t until we started trying to conceive that I realised this could hinder breastfeeding. At 20 years of age, the last thing I was thinking about was whether surgery would affect my ability to breastfeed. Thanks to my amazing surgeon, it hasn’t.
I am not the best with bodily fluids of any kind. But this past week I’ve dealt with pus, poo, wee and vomit. All of those have at some stage ended up ON me. And I’m pleased to note, doesn’t phase me. People did tell me that breastfeed baby poo does not smell… they lied!
J does like to fall asleep in your arms. I know a lot of people disagree with doing this, apparently when children are three, they will still be asking to be rocked to sleep. I don’t believe this and I also will not stop rocking my son to sleep. They’re only this little for such a short time, and if falling asleep in my arms comforts him, well I will continue damn it!
Speaking of sleep, my husband and I are getting about 7 hours of broken sleep a night. We also try to fit in a nap during the day. J is a good little sleeper so far and I love waking up to hear him ‘talking’ to himself in his moses basket.
This week we have our newborn photo shoot. We tossed up whether to pay the money to have this done. But we figured after all it took for us to get this little man, it’s something we would regret not doing. I can’t wait to see the photos of our handsome son. I’m seeing this experience get quite expensive because I bet I cannot choose between the photos that are taken!
Also this week will be another weigh in, we’re hoping J has gotten back up to his birth weight, or close to.
Well those are just some of my experiences as a new Mum. Like I said before, best week of my life. I would not trade this for the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment