Tuesday 14 May 2013

Acupuncture

It wasn't that long ago that I actually changed my private health insurance to not cover Acupuncture. I said to my husband 'when are we ever going to use that?' Famous last words...

Acupuncture is the practice of inserting fine needles in to specific points in the body to correct imbalances and promote a healthier energy flow. It doesn't hurt, honest! You barely feel them go in. 

We both did our first Acupuncture session in January. That first session was ok. I actually spent the whole 1 hour appointment needing to urinate. I thought I was going to wet my pants but I was too scared to move. Needless to say, I didn't get a chance to really enjoy the session.

We didn't go back for a while. After our first IVF cycle ended in a chemical pregnancy, I told my husband I wanted to start again during our next cycle. So I went ahead and made an appointment. There are two Acupuncturist's there and  both are great! I love Luke though. He's down to earth and explains what he's doing in layman's terms for me. He also gives me lots of advice about what veggies to plant. Bonus!

I started going about 4 weeks before my next IVF cycle was due to start. I went once a week for an hour. I can't explain how amazing I find Acupuncture. Sometimes I find it hard to lay still for that long. I'm a massive fidgeter. But the more I went; the more truly relaxed I felt. 

The aim those first few weeks, was to get the blood flowing nicely to my uterus. They would place needles in my feet, legs, stomach, wrists and forehead. When my period came a few weeks after starting, it was almost painless. I got my period at 11 years old. From as far back as I can remember, I have had excruciating period pain. Days off of school, heat packs that don't do anything to help, painkiller after painkiller. In between the screaming and crying. Even when I started the pill at 17, I still got a bit of pain. To have the kind of relief I had my last period, has blown me away. What's even more amazing is that they put some press studs in to my feet to have a smoother 'flow'. Which did work, no clotting and only one heavy day). I left the press studs in for 2 days, the day I took them out, my period started flowing. Coincidence? I think not! 

I continued to do Acupuncture throughout the stimming of my IVF cycle and had it before and after transfer. The session before transfer is the most important. It quietens the uterus and stops it contracting so that the embryo will be entering a nice and stable environment. The session after is to get the blood flowing to aid implantation. 

I'm clearly yet to see if it helps my IVF cycle. Even if this cycle fails, I am a true Acupuncture believer. I can't believe I ever scoffed at this amazing practice. I hope to spend the next 9 months pregnant and then if I can, breast feed for a while. I will continue Acupuncture throughout pregnancy and 100% continue once I get my cycles back. If I never have to have a painful period again,  I'll be a very happy girl. I recommend it to anyone who has been told there's 'nothing they can do' for a pain they have. I've heard it helps all kinds of pain.

On top of helping pain and increasing the success rates of IVF, it can also help the production of sperm. My Acupuncturist Luke told me that some men with Azoospermia (where they don't have sperm present when they ejaculate) do Acupuncture and after a few months, they have been able to provide enough semen to do an ICSI procedure, without the use of a biopsy to extract it. Amazing huh! He also said although few studies have been done on it, he believes it definitely raises a man's sperm count. As well as helps motility and morphology. My husband has low sperm count and after we (hopefully) have our first child, my husband and I have talked about having him go in for a few months prior to looking to have our second and seeing if with the help of Acupuncture, we can fall pregnant naturally. Who knows!

If you can't tell, I'm a lover of Acupuncture. I did just dedicate a whole blog post to it. But seriously, if you've been thinking about it, give it a try!



The press stud in my foot to help the flow of my period. 

2 comments:

  1. That's too bad you went and changed your insurance plan, that would have been AMAZING if it covered it. I know mine doesn't cover it, and I go twice a week, but I think it's worth every penny. I know exactly where you're coming from, I will definitely continue my sessions as well! Did he ever put any in your ears? The other day my lady put 3 in my ears, I know one was for stress, the other 2 I have no idea about lol. Anyways, those hurt like crazy going in, but the stress one worked wonders, I loved it! It's so hard to grasp how sticking needles in our skin can actually be helpful, but it is. So weird... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I was so angry with myself!!! But getting it put back on so that's good! Yes I agree though, it's definitely worth it. No, I haven't tried the ear ones. But I'll be asking for them. A bit more of a destresser would be great! That's amazing that you felt the difference!!! It's crazy isn't it. Goes to show everything we do impacts our bodies.

    ReplyDelete