Tuesday 7 May 2013

Nobody said it was easy...

IVF is tough. It really is. You're constantly being poked and prodded by Nurses and Dr's. You give yourself injection after injection. There's medication with weird names and horrible sounding side effects that you hope you never get, but chances are you will. You go under anaesthetic, you worry constantly that you've done something wrong to screw up the whole cycle and after the tranfer, you spend almost two weeks in limbo. Am I pregnant? Am I not pregnant?
 
Like I said, it's tough!
 
 
 
My in-laws had no idea what was involved with an IVF cycle. They kept making remarks last cycle about why I was in pain or why I was taking time off work. I realised, not everyone knows what doing IVF really means for the couple undergoing it. I certainly didn't before IVF was our only choice. Although, I will admit I have a bit more common sense than my in-laws and knew it was certainly no walk in the park, despite not knowing what exactly was involved.
 
You might have seen this, but this is what I showed my in-laws to help them understand the IVF process...
 
 
Afterwards, they kind of stared at the screen and went 'Oh'. It really opened their eyes to exactly what we go through.
 
And even after all you have been through, there's no guarantee of a baby at the end of it. Heartbreaking huh! Us women and our partners go through this physical and emotional turmoil for a chance. A gamble. And it is a gamble. An expensive one.
 
But what other choice do we have? We're gambling for something we want SO badly. And hopefully it works. And if it does, everything we've been through will be more than worth it.
 
After we received news of our chemical pregnancy last cycle, I swore up and down for hours that I would never go through that again. I didn't think it would be THAT hard to hear the news. I was wrong.
 
 
 
 The next day, after a good nights sleep, I started talking about next cycle. My husband knew I didn't mean it. I was just exhausted from all the hoping, only to be let down. I know I will do this again and again until we do get our baby. Hopefully it's this cycle. Hopefully next week I'll be pregnant! But if not, if we're not that lucky, we'll try again.
 

 
 

2 comments:

  1. I really like the new layout/design!

    I have so much respect and appreciation for anyone who is currently going through this, or has gone through this before! This is definitely tough stuff, but it will be worth it all in the end!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video is awesome. People really do not know until they go through it. Thanks for sharing! All of this hard work will be worth it. You are one tough cookie!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete